Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fabric Store.

Today I learned that fabric stores freak me out. Everything about them is just kind of strange to me. The people in them, they way they smell, etc. Let me start by giving you the image. . .
I woke up this morning at 7:55am and I had to be at work at 8:10am. Yikes. I don't do well with cold weather and snooze buttons. I hate waking up when it's cold!! I just sat in bed not wanting to get up. Then it was 8:02am. And I'm slow in the morning, real slow and grouchy too. . . So I changed my shirt and changed out of my pink pajama pants and put on a t-shirt and sweat pants. Much better looking right? Not at all. I should have just actually put on jeans and sweater. It would have taken just as much time and I would have looked 10x better. But something about waking up to the freezing cold and still being half asleep made me want to stay in cozy clothes. Then, I tamed the fro (pulled my hair up), brushed my teeth, looked at the clock and it was 8:12am. Crapper. I looked out the window and saw that there was a bunch of snow/ice on my windshield! GRRR! So I grabbed a diet coke (priorities people) then went outside and scraped the ice off of my car and went to work.
Here I am in baggy gray sweat pants (with a hole by the right pocket), a black band t-shirt, slipper/shoes that have fur on them, and a tan furry jacket. I was warm. . . but not attractive looking. I had no make up and I looked like a dofus. I kind of looked like a high school drop out/wanna be rock star. Both of which I am not. The power of appearance. . .
Anyway after work I needed to go to the fabric store to buy fabric to make tutu's for my Halloween costume. This was the only day this entire week that I had time to go to the store and make the tutu's. Now-I'm not a girl who really cares what people think and heaven knows that I don't have the need to look perfect all the time. But. . . I didn't want to go in the fabric store looking like I did. Trust me, it was bad. But I thought to myself "it's 11:00 in the morning on a Tuesday, in a fabric store. . . I'll probably be the only one in there and if there are other people in there, they will all be old enough to be my grandma so who cares what I look like".
I was wrong. There were a TON of people. And they weren't all old/cute/sweet grandma's either. I should have known, it's the week of Halloween at a fabric store! Duh!
I found my fabric that I needed while everyone stared at me because lets me honest, I didn't really look like the "fabric store" type at the moment. I had no idea what I was doing because lets me honest, I've probably only been a fabric store a handful of times in my life and each time I was with someone who knew what they were doing! I got in line at the cutting counter and this one lady in particular just glared at me the entire time. I smiled, she glared. She was probably in her late 30's, she kept talking to herself looking at a list saying "got that, got that, and that, good!" and she had a lot of make up on, her hair was all done up and curled, and she looked like she knew exactly what she was doing. The fabric store was definitely her turf. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having make up on, your hair curled, or to look like you know what you are doing. . . I was just feeling a bit vulnerable in my baggy sweat pants with the hole in them and no make up on.
It was my turn to have my fabric cut. I told the cute, sweet lady cutting fabric (that did look like she could be my grandma) "ummm two yards of each?" And everyone could tell that I had no idea what I was doing. So she started to cut away and the lady behind me (the one with the curled hair, make up, knew what she was doing) started talking to me (which only drew more attention to me and my grubby sweat pants and make up free face!) and this was our conversation. . .
Lady: "What are you making with all of that fabric?"
Me: Tutu's.
Lady: That's a lot of tutu's.
Me: Ha, yeah. (It would be a lot of tutu's if I were making them for children but no, I'm making them for grown adults and we have big waists).
Lady: For Halloween costumes, or for dance?
Me: Halloween costumes.
Lady: What are they gonna be?
Me: Witches. . . witches with tutu's.
Lady: (With a very disgusted look on her face). Oh.. .. .. interesting?
Me: Yeah....
I know that, that conversation sounds polite and such, but it wasn't. That lady did not like me and it was obvious. I'm sure she thought I was making tutu's for children..... but no I am making them for 3 grown women. Maybe I am reading too much into that lady with the curled hair. But I'm positive that I will never go into a fabric store with grubby sweat pants and no make up on, ever again!!

No comments: