Holy crap on a spatula. I helped deliver two babies on Tuesday. Whoa. It was amazing. I will be totally honest, I have always been interested in labor and delivery nursing. BUT, I also used to think that all of the high-maintenance, blonde, froo-froo nurses worked on L&D. I considered it almost "simple nursing". Shame on me!! My instructor that I just love and that I have talked about before, worked on L&D for years then got her masters and started teaching. She is amazing. As are the nurses who currently work on L&D. I don't think I have ever learned so much in my life during a clinical. It was baptism by fire. Oh.... Let me tell you all one very important thing... Doctors don't do crap except catch the baby. Nurses are the ones who are REALLY taking care of you, just sayin'. I don't hate doctors, I promise. I just think they get way more credit than nurses, and that isn't quite accurate. Those nurses are SO smart and they seriously have their patient's back.
The first baby that I helped deliver had the cord wrapped around his little neck and had some breathing problems for the first few minutes of life. Thankfully, he is fine and so is mom. It is a different kind of experience to deliver someone's child. That is a very personal experience; to be all up in someone's junk (sorry-true), counting them through contractions as they grip the crap out of your arm, talking the dad through it just as much as mom so he doesn't pass out, and holding that sweet little baby after he is born, is SO AMAZING! I will never, ever forget that. 9:57 on Tuesday, June 25th I had my first experience as a Labor & Delivery nurse. I get such an adrenaline rush just thinking about it!! I am proud to call myself a nursing student who will soon be a nurse. I have worked side by side with the most amazing people, and I have had some awesome patients!
Along with pediatrics, mom/baby, and labor and delivery, I am also doing psych clinicals. Some at UVRMC and some at the Utah State Hospital. LOVE it. I find myself really enjoying working with the psychiatrist with the eating disorder patients although, it is emotionally taxing. The psychiatrist at the State Hospital is amazing, she is so real with her patients and a great teacher! I'm thinking of getting my masters and becoming a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. I know, laugh all you want. A crazy becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner? At least I will understand my patients! ;) We will see... I am really loving labor and delivery as well! Such a great summer semester! Busy... I am at the hospital 48 hours a week and in class for 8 hours a week, then homework and that thing called a social life, oh and sleep...what's that? But I really do love it! Summer needs to sloooooooooooow down so I can take all of this in!!!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment