Long day. Clinicals at the Utah State Hospital (USH) which is Utah's largest long-term psychiatric facility. This place is huge. They have different buildings classifying patients. Forensic units for the criminally insane, child units (boys & girls), and several adult units. I am on an adult unit. Most people are severely schizophrenic, bipolar, or psychotic. A few have no psychosis whatsoever... those people have severe PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and/or eating disorders. Most eating disorder and PTSD patients are barely 18 years old, which makes them be on an adult unit which is hard, they are so young! I will 100% admit that I enjoy working with these patients the most. Although, it is probably the most draining. I sit in treatment team meetings for most of the day, which consist of the Psychiatrist (She is awesome!), the nurse, social worker, and of course, the patient. It is basically a mini therapy session where we discuss what is currently going on with the patient and goals for the month. My day consists of these meetings with patients and playing games with patients... oh and of course, addressing feeding tube placements, vital signs, and general health concerns. It's hard, you get attached to patients. I work on the same unit every time I am there and I have bonded with a few patients. It's difficult to talk about suicide attempts all day long and all of the many ways these people hurt themselves. It's so hard to watch people go through these things! At the end of the day, I am so emotionally exhausted. Nevertheless, it is rewarding work. Even though I have yet to win at foosball or phase 10. ;)
I have to say, I am seriously considering continuing my education with getting my master's degree and becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner. NEVER in a million years would I have guessed "master's degree" would come out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!! I really enjoy working with this population (most days). We'll see... delivering babies is pretty cool too. I wouldn't mind teaching either. That's the great thing about nursing, there are SO many directions to go!
The other day we did a simulation lab and delivered a baby out of a manikin. Isn't that rad? Our manikin's at school are like real people. It's a little freaky... They breathe, talk, birth babies, you can place IV's on them, etc. The instructor controls the manikin from a computer to make it do whatever they want it to. They can make it have a heart attack, go into labor with a cord wrapped around the baby's neck, etc. It's pretty awesome!
My advice after my day at the State Hospital... Be nice to people, you never know what they have been through. Oh, and don't do drugs. Most importantly- People do change, give them time!
Everyone stay hydrated in this hot fourth of July weather!! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment