You guys, being sick. . . sucks. Sorry, it just does. Kind of ironic for being in nursing school, I make the WORST patient. It's just that, I'm not patient enough for illness. I have stuff to do! I have been down allllllll week. It started on Sunday night but somehow I made it to my 4 hour med/surg class on Monday. And it was April Fool's day, one of my most favorite days of the year and I was sick, such a bummer. No worries, pranks were still played. ;) Monday night I went into the doctor because it felt like strep throat. Rapid strep was negative but the Dr. thought for sure it was strep so he did a throat culture and put me on penicillin. Now, if it would have been my choice, I would've just got a shot in my rear end. But no, I have to take a pill, three times a day. I found someone to cover for me at work on Tuesday because I just kept getting more sick. Throwing up (too much info.?- too bad!), fever, congestion, throat so sore that ever time I swallowed I was torn between ripping my tonsils out with my bare hands or crying. Ibuprofen and Tylenol combined wouldn't even touch the pain. Missed class on Wednesday (haven't missed a day of class since I've been in the nursing program). Felt like I just might die from sleep deprivation and pain so I went back to the doctor on Wednesday night. The sweet PA (physicians assistant) who saw me, took one look at my throat and said "oh my goodness, your tonsils are HUGE and your throat looks like raw hamburger". Yes, yes it does. "Your blood pressure is quite low, 99/65 (normal is 120/80) and you have wheezes in your lungs (pre-pneumonia)." I was almost happy to hear these things because it explained why I felt so crappy!! My throat culture still hadn't come back so we still don't know what evil sickness I have. But they put me on more antibiotics and steroids. First of all, I have never been to the doctor as many times in my whole life as I have in the past few weeks, between migraines and whatever satanic illness this is. Second of all, I don't know that I have ever been so thankful for medicine. That steroid kicked right in and I was finally able to breathe and sleep without horrible pain in my throat. I'm almost good as new. I called in sick to work today (Thursday). It was the first time I have ever called in sick to work and I have worked there for 2 1/2 years. The good news is, I think I'm finally on the mend. YAYYYYYYYYY!!!! Just in time for my twelve hour clinical tomorrow that starts at 3:00 in the morning!!
I am hoping that by Monday, I will be 110%! I am so frustrated, I didn't have time for sickness this week. I never have time for it, really. Every single day of mine is packed full. There isn't any breathing room. It has taught me that maybe, I need to schedule in some time for my body to rest. I'm too hard on my body and if I don't take extra good care of it, I will end up here again. Regardless, I will get sick again because that's what the human body does. But hopefully, it won't ever be to the degree that it was this time. I have also learned how much I take being healthy for granted.
I hope all of you out there in blogger world are staying healthy. Take care of yourself so you don't get this awful sickness that is floating around. I know that my new goal is to take better care of myself and to be extra grateful for my good health!!
Here's to being healthy! Cheers! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment