Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Get Your Christmas On!

Holy sheesh! Christmas is coming so quickly! I'm actually kind of mad that it is coming so fast! I LOVE anticipation. I mean, Christmas day is great too, but I just love building up to Christmas and preparing for it. And really, this year, Christmas just kind of snuck up on me. I didn't even put lights up on the bushes this year. Lame, I know. But at least we got the house lights up and the inside of our house is decked out!

Is your Christmas shopping done? Mine is almost done!! Wahoo! This year was tough for me. I'm one of those people who gets ideas of what to give people for Christmas in like July OR I don't get any ideas of what to give people until the very last minute. This year was one of those last minute things. But I finally got all of my loved ones covered! My friends were the hardest this year, but I finally came up with an idea and have just been trying to make their gifts. Yep, I'm one of those crazy people who loves the idea of making Christmas gifts, not all of them, of course-just a few.

And as for me- I've asked for the most useless things for Christmas. It's awesome. When people ask me what I want for Christmas I've replied with "an apron (I don't cook. . . ever), or a beanie that looks like an owl head (just because I think it's funky), and the best one yet, an ugly/nerdy Christmas sweater, no doubt. I ask for these useless things because I really don't need anything. I have clothes, I have food, I have a car. Life is good. I get that from my dad. We like to tease him because if you ask him what he wants for Christmas he will say "I don't need anything". He grew up when you got things you needed for Christmas i.e., pants, socks, coat, etc. And he is also known for taking things back. Example- one year my mom and I bought him this construction level for Christmas, he took it back to the store. He didn't do it to be rude, he just didn't need it. So, we are both working on the idea that Christmas can be fun! You don't always have to get something in order to need it. Of course we all have wants. But the reason I give people silly ideas of what to give me for Christmas is because my wants are too darn big. What I want for Christmas? Oh, a vacation, new car, some tuition money, a house, etc. So you see, I just need to find some balance between my wants and needs.

Most importantly. . . Christmas has NOTHING to do with what I want or even what I need, for that matter. It's about Christ and what he gave to each and every one of us.

My Christmas is definitely on! I've been wearing my Santa pajama's. Oh yes. And I even bought myself some pretty sweet Christmas socks. They are knee length, red with white polka dots, and at the knee they have some white fur. . . you know like the fur that's on Santa hats? Yep they're pretty rockin' socks. I've also been playing Christmas music non stop! I hope it snows soon so I can go sledding (I am a serious sledder). I just want it to dump buckets of snow! I've also been thinking about how grateful I am lately. Seriously. I have my issues and my struggles but heck, I am so so so so thankful for my life and for the gospel. I really don't know what I'd do without it. It's everything to me! I hope you all "get your Christmas on" and enjoy this time in preparation for Christmas!!

No comments: