Hello everybody! It's the end of the day and I just wanted to write a quick little note. Today was National Suicide Prevention Day... You can bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't let a day like today slide by without my two cents! As you know, I work with those who are suicidal. I am also in nursing school and I LOVE psych nursing as well as community health/education. So of course, I get REALLY excited when suicide is talked about in public. It needs to be talked about! And if you know me at all, I LOVE to break the silence and that also applies to my work. So here I am... Just wanted to say that lately I have seen suicide and drug abuse (which plays a large role in suicide) talked about in the public more than EVER! THIS IS AWESOME! WAHOO! Let's talk about it and get rid of it!!! I apologize that I don't have better links... It's been a long day and I am supposed to be studying but I just had to write a quick post.
First, if you haven't heard about "Run For Recovery", you need to. I can assure you, I will never, ever, ever talk about running on this blog unless it is for a good cause... and this is for a great cause! If you or someone you know struggles with addiction, check out Run For Recovery. I think it is an AWESOME movement!
Second, suicide has been talked about more and more on the news lately. I think this is great. I couldn't find the link I wanted, but just the other day I saw on ksl a great article about suicide. I am just happy it is being talked about. Talking about it is the FIRST step in doing something about it.
Third, this link http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26805911&nid=148&title=traumatic-brain-injuries-linked-to-higher-suicide-rates&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-2 talks about TBI's (traumatic brain injuries) and the relation to suicide. Those with brain injuries (not just soldiers!) need help before it gets to the suicide stop. As always, if you or someone you know is experiencing any of these problems... get help! Contact your primary care provider. If you have any questions, I would of course be happy to address those. And finally, if you or someone you know is experiencing any of these situations as a crisis right now, go to the nearest emergency room, they will surely help you there!
Be safe everyone!
I promise I will blog about light-hearted things soon!! Stay tuned! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment